If you yearn for outdoor adventure, Billings provides nearly limitless opportunities thanks to our pristine lands, scenic beauty, and rugged, rustic charm. If you’re interested in cultural events, Billings will astound you with its impressive selection of music, theater, museums and dining. Whatever you’re looking for, you’ll find it in Billings, Montana’s Trailhead.
- Alberta Bair Theater
- In 1987, the Alberta Bair Theater became a reality. Created with a dream of bringing the excitement of the performing arts to the people of the Northern Rockies and to enhance the quality of life in Billings, the Alberta Bair Theater has added a very special dimension to our lives that cannot be satisfied in any other way.
As a presenter the Alberta Bair Theater has set a standard for excellence in the Intermountain West. In its brief history, the Alberta Bair Theater has brought to audiences the finest performers in every discipline of the performing arts, including classical and popular music, country music and jazz, opera, ballet, modern and ethnic dance, comedy, drama and musical theater. The Alberta Bair Theater has made Billings an integral part of the routing of major national and international artists and attractions in the United States and in the world.
Recognizing its role throughout our community, the Alberta Bair Theater is a home for a wealth of important cultural organizations that are nurtured by our audiences and a mecca for over ten thousand school children who discover the finest and most exciting performing arts experiences annually.
The Alberta Bair Theater can achieve its goal of touching all members of the community only be acknowledging the wealth of talent available to the theater, by offering an outlet to this creative power and through your generous support.
For information on current events at the theater and other regional theatrical and musical events, call the Alberta Bair Theater ticket office at 256-6052.
2801 3rd Avenue North
Billings, MT 59101
- Babcock Theatre
- The Babcock Theater is an 800 seat historic theater in downtown Billings available for film lecture and live performances.
2810 1/2 2nd Ave N
Billings, MT 59101
- Billings Studio Theatre
- Billings Studio Theatre is a non-profit organization dedicated to providing quality entertainment at an affordable price. The Billings Studio Theatre was established in 1953.
The theatre has grown considerable since its early days and its modest beginnings. Over 500 volunteers involve themselves each year in all aspects of production and help mount a five show Main stage Season along with a major Fall production at the Alberta Bair Theater, special events, and experimental plays in its Dark Night Series. BST also showcases two Rocky Mountain College productions annually and hosts many community events.
In addition, BST operates a children's theatre, The Growing Stage, which creates an environment in which children of our community can explore and develop their talents and life skills. The Growing Stage offers a summer camp, classes, and three children's productions annually. The Growing Stage School began operation in September of 1996 with on-site classes, touring performances, and workshops in the schools.
Altogether, 30,000 individuals in Billings and surrounding communities enjoy participation at BST each year as audience members, artists, builders, supporters, students, etc. Because of BST, these people have the opportunity to learn new skills, grow creatively, meet new challenges, socialize, work cooperatively, and attend quality, affordable theatre performances.
1500 Rimrock Road
Billings, MT 59102
- Billings Symphony Orchestra & Chorale
- Since the first concert of The Billings Symphony Society in 1951, the organization’s mission has been to enhance the quality of life in this part of the Rocky Mountain Northwest by offering musical enlightenment and intellectual stimulation to traditional audiences, as well as those who are geographically isolated, economically challenged and culturally underserved.
Today, 58 years later, that mission remains the driving force behind The Billings Symphony Orchestra & Chorale (BSO&C), the only symphonic orchestra and chorale serving a regional population of 400,000 people located throughout south central Montana and northeastern Wyoming. The 135+ members of the BSO&C present an annual season from September through June, featuring six subscription concerts, two performances of Tchaikovsky’s Nutcracker with the accompaniment of a renowned ballet company, a New Year’s Eve event, four performances of a Free Family Concert and a free Symphony in the Park pops-style concert. Each season, The BSO&C perform for more than 35,000 people and introduce children, youth, adults, and seniors around the region to symphonic music and the performing arts through Explore Music!, its music education and community engagement program.
- Billings Youth Orchestra
- The BYO was established in September 2006 to improve the range and quality of orchestral opportunities for Billings’ youth. It is a privately funded, non-profit organization, modeled after similar youth orchestras found across the country. The program is open by audition to all area students, from preschool to college, including home schooled kids and students from outlying rural schools. Scholarships are available.
To sustain a high quality program while keeping tuition low, we rely on generous financial support from our community. This includes grants, corporate sponsorships, and private donations.
Since its inception, the BYO has expanded rapidly, creating a comprehensive program of orchestral education. Currently we have four orchestras, tailored for a broad range of abilities, from very young beginners to advanced high school and college students. As BYO members improve their skills, they advance from one orchestra to the next. At the highest level, we strive to prepare students for membership in a professional orchestra such as the Billings Symphony. To conduct and inspire our most advanced students, we are fortunate to have Shuichi Komiyama, who also directs the MSU Symphony in Bozeman. He is a highly respected international conductor, as well as an Emmy Award winning composer.
Each season commences with a September retreat, and includes two major concerts at the Alberta Bair Theater, as well as several other local performances. We also present educational outreach tours, performing in rural Montana schools.
The Billings Youth Orchestra is already becoming a magnet for the best young musicians in our region. Considering the talent and dedication of those musicians (and their conductors), and the enthusiastic support of our community, the BYO is destined to become a source of civic pride for Billings, and a core cultural institution for this part of Montana.
- Rimrock Opera Company
- Rimrock Opera Company shares a passion for opera and is dedicated to bringing world-class opera to area audiences. We pledge to keep our ticket prices reasonable and hope more will join as first-time operagoers in 2008-2009. One doesn't have to travel to New York or San Francisco to enjoy world-class opera. Billings' audience members can enjoy an evening with family and friends at a reasonably priced and convenient venue.
4005 1st Avenue South
Billings, MT 59101
- Venture Theatre
- Venture Theatre in Billings is committed to theatre as art and exists as a venue that will not only contribute to the cultural life of the community but will also serve to test and stretch the abilities of the artists involved with the theatre. The company has steadily expanded, from its first production in 1992 of The Wiz to a full season annually. The company also offers dance, voice and theatre classes, a summer youth conservatory, improvisation and an annual one-act play festival. The company recently moved into its new space, located across from The Depot, in historic downtown Billings.
2317 Montana Avenue
Billings, MT 59101